Thursday, April 1, 2010

Poetry, sweet poetry

Happy Maundy-Thursday!

And happy first day of Poetry Month!

Over on Robert Brewer's Poetic Asides blog, the prompt for the day is to write a lonely poem.

Here is what I wrote:

Loneliness

Oh to be left alone

To my own devices and strategies!

To muse all the day

On wonders far away.

But alas, this must be an elegy:

My friend calls from her phone

Talking ‘bout schedules and neighborhood crime.

Pets need to be fed,

And my e-mails read.

And I am pledged to this thing called full-time.


From this I steal away,

Hiding myself in the nearest bathroom.

I whip out my phone

And through games I postpone

The end of lovely loneliness assumed.


Feel free to post a lonely poem or a poem about loneliness in the comments below.
I would also add that if you feel like writing a poem about Maundy-Thursday, that would be great to see here as well.

1 comment:

  1. My April 1st poem (rough copy):

    Held - Gracia Narveson

    Wrap my arms around your neck.
    Feel your breath.
    Hold me tight.
    Your chest across my chest.
    Your arms around my back.
    Hold me tight.
    Cause I wanna feel held.
    I wanna be held.
    Your soft hair on my forehead.
    I love your smell.
    You smell great.
    What are you thinking?
    I think I love you.
    My arms around your neck,
    Feel your grip
    And steady breath.
    Can you hold me here forever?
    Cause I wanna be held.
    I wanna be in your arms.
    Our bodies pressed together.
    Our arms tangled around each other.
    Won’t you hold me here forever?
    Cause I wanna be held.
    I wanna be held in your arms
    Forever.

    ReplyDelete