Friday, August 21, 2009

Tweet!

I was doing some research today for my WIP about sleep deprivation and what it can do to the body.
It's kind of scary.
I found out lots of fascinatingly odd and obscure facts which I plan to use on my kids when I'm 40 by beating them at Trivial Pursuit.
But until then, I'll spare you the details.

This week I downloaded TweetDeck to see what it was all about. It's an amazing little program (I feel like I should be able to call it an app, but I don't know if it officially is) that turns the concept of 140 characters from something simple to something incredibly complicated and amazing. I'm a little wierded out by the constant novelty and potential for connections. It's truly mind boggling.

But, even though I'm confused, I can immediately see why I would subject myself to such a tool. It keeps track of a lot of things I could never do on my own and enables me to experience live chats on Twitter. I'm already counting on it as necessary to every day life. Scary? Maybe. Fun? Definitely. Productive? That remains to be seen.

One thing about twitter, for those who don't use it or know about it, it has a completely different feel than blogs, facebook, or other social networking abilities. With twitter, things are done in real time and it feels like a much more real connection with people than other electronic venues. It's not for everyone, but now I see why several people say that Twitter is absolutely necessary for writers.

Have a good weekend! Be safe and get enough sleep. Your body will thank you in about 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment