Sunday, November 6, 2011

Surplus Sunday

It's 4:07 pm. I have until 5:40 when I have to leave for a church event.
Time to write!

My goal: write a surplus of words, as many as I can. It doesn't matter if a reach a certain goal or meet a certain deadline. I'm already way ahead on my word count so anything I write today will be surplus to tide me over in case I have (will have) lean days.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could go to a surplus store and buy people's extra words? Well, maybe you can't actually buy other people's words, but perusing a surplus store of random things could help to boost your word count by giving you extra inspiration for writing.

I went to one the other day and only had 6 minutes before they closed to pick stuff out. I found a gas mask, a bunch of random electronic parts, and some plastic gears. I didn't buy any of them, but that gas mask is still stuck in my mind. I'm always a softie for biohazard stories, and while I know I'm NOT going to include a biohazard in my story (I've already got a dragon, mind-control, and a subterranean labyrinth), it has sparked my creativity. The fear that a mass break-out of a biohazard causes is similar to the effect I was looking for.

So go out and write those surplus words! Or find them in random objects at a thrift store. Either way works.

1 comment:

  1. My surplus going into the week: 189 words.
    Yup. That's all I got. Weekends don't seem to be good writing times for me.

    ReplyDelete